Client Pictures

"These children are pearls, cause them to be nurtured within the shell of Thy loving-kindness." -'Abdu'l-Baha

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Learning to latch your baby...

So after observing new babies and their first attempts to feed over the last two years I have come to my own conclusion that about +-40% of new babies just open their mouth nice and wide and turn out to be natural breast feeders. The other +-60% have to learn and need help. I just worked with a women who struggled and it wasn't until the 5th day after an hour of work that we finally got the little guy on their! It was such a victory! When it is difficult and a mother does not have good support the breastfeeding experience may struggle to survive past a couple weeks. But just know that once the learning and correct habits are formed breastfeeding becomes as natural as breathing and your baby benefits beyond measure from this perfect food.

2 comments:

  1. Breast feeding, while not always easy (at first) is the best thing that I'm doing for my baby. He's not the only one benefiting in the whole scenario though, we don't have the added cost of buying formula and my weight-loss has been great. Just yesterday, I was able to fit into a pair of jeans I could only wear, WAY pre-pregnancy! And more than that, I realized that I'm going to miss breast-feeding my son when our little chapter does come to an end. I'm just really grateful to the "village" of support I have from my very special doula, lactation consultant (Brenda Pierce), the local clinic sister, my mother and girlfriends who helped and encouraged me to stick with the breast-feeding even when I seemed hopeless at it. We are all put here on this beautiful journey to learn... yes, even to learn how to breast-feed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Children are growing so quickly and if you miss one step in their lives it will be too late for doing catching-up

    ReplyDelete